Monday, October 3, 2011

Following

I've been watching this movement like a hawk.  I'm glued to my twitter where people are constantly updating.  There are live streams of GAs on the internet and Saturday there was a showdown in NYC.  Some 500-700 people were arrested in a march on the Brooklyn Bridge.  So glad the BPD is awesome and I feel for those who were arrested, but the silver lining is that this is getting us into the news - finally!  

We went down yesterday with some supplies just to drop off.  Pallets, a tent and a cooler.  I just wanted to stay.  I want to be a part of this.  There were so many tents and people there.  Even a friend from Worcester.  I wanted to go today, but I have work and I have to come home to take the dog out.  By the time I get that all done, I wouldn't be able to catch a train til 7 and I wouldn't be getting there til 8:30.  If I were to catch the later train home, I wouldn't get home til probably almost 1am.  And I would have missed the GA anyway.  I just can't do it all but I want to be there.

I was talking to one of my residents about the protests today.  He was a big business man and he has a key to the city so he's a pretty big deal.  I thought he might be like, what the hell are you doing?  And after he called me a hippy, he asked what we were trying to accomplish.  When I told him to put people before profits he said he agreed with that.  That made me pretty happy.

I'm out of work Thursday at 5 and I think we're going to head down there then, or maybe on Friday morning. I'm afraid there won't be a place to set up a tent because it looked pretty damn full yesterday.  In any case, I'm interested in being there all weekend, to talk to people, to march, to be part of the GA, to continue this and help it grow.  I plan on tweeting up a storm, but I dont know if I'll be able to charge my phone at all. 

The news is starting to get out.  The NY protests and mention of Boston were on the front page of the T&G today and I guess on the Globe as well.  I've been following a reporter from the metro who's been at the protests as well and there was a spot on GBH tonight.  A lot of criticism too but that's to be expected with anything.  Can't let that get us down, but reading critiques is good too.

This is a pretty good article in the globe today  here



No comments:

Post a Comment